Monday 12 August 2024

Painting the bodywork

I sent the petrol tank and rear mudguard off to a local sandblasters to have all the old paint and filler etc removed.

They turned out to be in remarkably good shape with just a small dent in the lower part of the tank to repair. I got a couple of coats of red lead primer on them to stop any rusting while they went back into storage for a while.

Before:






After blasting and priming:





All of the other body parts (side panels, front mudguard and an original fairing that I bought from Italy) are plastic. A month or so later, once there were some warm days, I got everything out again to get it all primed and with a couple of coats of the top coat on, just to protect it all till next winter.




I'm using Halfords Enamel paint again. It proved to be pretty durable on the Crusader rebuild and this bike is being restored to be used rather than being a show bike. I've chosen a bright metallic blue colour, which might be a bit TOO bright - we shall see. It can always be redone another time if I really don't like it. I warmed the paint up in a bowl of hot water as it was still coolish outside where I was painting.




No comments:

Post a Comment