Monday 12 August 2024

Repairing the Centre Stand

The "feet" of the centre stand had completely worn through with use and the mud etc that had then compacted in the open tubes was set like concrete! I managed to clear it all out and then cut back the thin, corroded tube further until I reached sound metal.



I shaped up patches for each foot, using the same tube I'd got to reinforce the frame repair joints. That was a lot harder than it sounds, as the end of each foot is a compound curve. Once they were clamped in place, I welded the long sides and then did loads of small tacks to build up weld in the toes. 






This repair was much more challenging than the frame repair, as the steel was relatively thin, but I got there in the end! Again, the sanding disc was used to grind the welds back and give an acceptable finish, especially as it will hardly be seen once on the bike.



The frame, centre stand and a few odd bits were then sent off for powder coating. The original red powder coat had to be acid stripped first. Everything arrived back on the day I was moving house, so it had a cursory inspection to check the right number of parts were there and then got thrown in the shed with all the other parts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment