Wednesday 6 September 2023

Electrickery

The wiring provided with the bike was a right mess! The original loom had been left intact but then roughly cut into and hacked about to wire into the moto-gadget unit and non-standard switchgear.



I spent a happy hour or so in the shed trying to disentangle and understand the various different circuits. There weren't many block connectors, with most things being hard wired in. As I'm going to completely rewire the bike, I cut the loom down into sub-sections, clearly labelling everything so I knew how to reconstruct it.

I ended up with this rat's nest of redundant wiring, which went straight in the bin.


But more importantly, I also ended up with a clear set of components and a clearer understanding of how to rewire it all using the moto-gadget unit, when the time comes.


I also used a spare battery to check things like the horn and also how the wiring for the repeater lights in the speedo are wired up. Happily, all worked fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment